Places of Interest in Ani
Ani´s high point in
history was in the 10th and 11th centuries.
City Walls: The northern walls near the entrance were built in 972 by Ashot III. They were restored between 977-990 by Simbat II who at the same time constructed the eastern walls. The northern walls are 1,500 meters long and between eight and ten meters high. The main gate is known as the Lion Gate.
The Church of Our Redeemer: Originally built during
1035/1036 this church was restored in 1171. The church was struck by lightning, so that today only half of the original structure can be seen.
Mosque: Built in 1072 by Emir Menucehr, it was the first
Seljuk mosque built in Anatolia.
The Cathedral of the Virgin Mary was started by Simbat II in 939 and finished in 1001. It is a work of the architect Tiridates who is known for his restortion of
Ayasofya in Istanbul after it was damaged by an earthquake.
The Tigran Honentz Church was constructed in 1215. The interior is covered with frescoes of biblical scenes.